In 1991, IDWR designated a GWMA for the Big Wood River Basin after ground water monitoring wells showed that ground water levels were declining in the basin. In recent years, landowners with senior surface water rights in the Big Wood River and Little Wood River have alleged that ground water pumping in the upper Wood River and Silver Creek drainages was depleting flows in the rivers and reducing river flows diverted for irrigation.
This dispute resulted in attempted litigation and the submittal of several draft plans to IDWR to address the controversy. In response, IDWR the advisory committee to find a solution to the controversy.
Documents & Resources
- WD37 Exchange Condition – Tim Luke Memo – April 27, 2021
- Proposed Agreement Between Surface and Ground Water Users October 2020
Draft Memorandum of Agreement submitted to Director Gary Spackman by members of the Big and Little Wood Water User’s Association and Big Wood Canal Company on October 2, 2020
- Proposed Big Wood River Ground Water Management Plan September 2020
Draft plan submitted to Director Gary Spackman by the Galena and South Valley Ground Water Districts on September 9, 2020
- Delivery Call – Tim Luke Staff Memo – August 31, 2015
- Delivery Call – Jennifer Sukow Staff Memo – August 28, 2015
- Corey Allen, Sun Valley Company
- Cooper Brossy, Big & Little Wood Water Users Association
- Rod Hubsmith, American Falls Reservoir District 2
- Sharon Lee, Individual
- Pat McMahon, Chair, Galena Ground Water District
- Kristy Molyneux, Chair, South Valley Ground Water District
- Carl Pendleton, Board Chair, Big Wood Canal Company
- Pat Purdy, Owner, Picabo Livestock Company, Inc.
- William Simon, Camas Prairie Water Users
- Nick Westendorf, Big & Little Wood Water Users Association
- Brian Yeager, Public Works Director, City of Hailey
- Michelle Stennett (Ex-officio Member), Minority Leader, Idaho State Senate