- Static versions of the NHD, WBD, and NHDPlusHR will be published Sept. 30, 2023.
USGS will no longer be actively editing or updating the NHD in order to focus on the development of the 3D Hydrography Program (3DHP). Static versions and related services for these datasets will remain available for the foreseeable future. HydroAdd will continue to work with the static copy of the NHD and will be ported to 3DHP.
For more information on the 3D Hydrography Program and the cessation on NHD & WBD updates, please watch the following video presentations:
- The 3DHP – Transition status July 25, 2023. USGS Hydro. Community Call, July 25, 2023
- USGS National Geospatial Program Updates: 3D Hydrography Program & 3D Topography Model. ISU Tech Talk, May 4, 2023
- The NHD to 3DHP Midyear Update. USGS Hydro. Community Call, April 25, 2023
- The 3D National Topography Model, The 3D Hydrography Program – Transition Timelines. ISU Tech Talk, Aug. 25, 2022
- Transition from NHD to 3DHP: Current Status and Timeline. NSGIC Presentation, Aug. 17, 2022 (Note: NSGIC login required.)
- The Next Generation of Hydrography, Our Future in 3D: The 3D National Topography Model and the 3DHP. USGS Hydro. Community Call, Aug. 24, 2021
There is a Hydrography Stewards Community at NSGIC. This community exists as a place for hydrography stewards to communicate and share their successes and failures. The group will complement the 3DHP Interest group at NSGIC which is focused on the future of National Hydrography Mapping at USGS. The Hydrography Stewards Community will share challenges of maintaining, updating and sharing hydrography data and how we will transition to new models in the future. These are exciting times to be mapping hydrography, and we all have valuable knowledge to share. If you are interested in joining the community, you can visit: https://nsgic.memberclicks.net/mynsgic-community-join and fill out the form.