- NHD and WBD edits must be submitted through the Markup App before NOVEMBER 30,2022 to be implemented.
- All NHD Job Checkouts will be halted December 31, 2022 and non-USGS edit access will be phased out.
- All WBD Job Checkouts will be halted June 30, 2023.
USGS will no longer be actively editing or updating the NHD in order to focus on the development of the 3D Hydrography Program (3DHP). Static versions of the NHD, WBD, and NHDPlusHR will be published Sept. 30, 2023. These static versions and related services will remain available for the foreseeable future. HydroAdd will continue to work with the static copy of the NHD and will be ported to 3DHP.
For more information on the 3D Hydrography Program and the cessation on NHD & WBD updates, please watch the following video presentations:
- The Next Generation of Hydrography, Our Future in 3D: The 3D National Topography Model and the 3DHP. USGS Hydro. Community Call, Aug. 24, 2021
- The 3D National Topography Model, The 3D Hydrography Program – Transition Timelines. ISU Tech Talk, Aug. 25, 2022
- Transition from NHD to 3DHP: Current Status and Timeline. NSGIC Presentation, Aug. 17, 2022 (Note: NSGIC login required.)
There is also a Hydrography Stewards Community at NSGIC. This community exists as a place for hydrography stewards to communicate and share their successes and failures. The group will complement the 3DHP Interest group at NSGIC which is focused on the future of National Hydrography Mapping at USGS. Hydrography Stewards Community will share challenges of maintaining, updating and sharing hydrography data and how we will transition to new models in the future. These are exciting times to be mapping hydrography, and we all have valuable knowledge to share. If you are interested in joining the community, you can visit: https://nsgic.memberclicks.net/mynsgic-community-join and fill out the form.