On June 15, 2021, the 5th Judicial District Court issued a commencement order for the Bear River Basin Adjudication, a legal process in which a court reviews and confirms all existing water rights in the Bear River Basin within the state of Idaho.
The adjudication will review all water rights held by local, state, and federal governments, Native American tribes, and private property owners. The commencement order gives water users within the Bear River Basin the option of deferring the filing of small domestic and stockwater claims.
The adjudication includes both surface water and groundwater rights in those portions of Bannock, Bear Lake, Caribou, Cassia, Franklin, Oneida, and Power Counties within the Bear River Basin.
- Order Setting Commencement Hearing and Procedures for Hearing – November 25, 2020
- Petition to Commence Bear River Basin Adjudication – November 20, 2020
- Bear River Basin Adjudication Handout for November 12-13, 2014 Meetings
- Notice of Informational Meetings – November 12 & 13, 2014
- Map of proposed adjudication area